A fine example of a Hilton hotel for the new century, Hilton Molino Stucky began life more than a century ago as the Molino Stucky Flour Mill.
The building, named after original owner Giovanni Stucky, dates from 1882. It was abandoned in 1955 after business declined.
Thirteen buildings were combined to form this hotel with the less-than-melodious name and converted by a group of prominent architects into the distinctive structure that has welcomed tourists since July 2007.
Hilton Molino Stucky is located on long, narrow Giudecca Island, which some consider a sophisticated, untouristy retreat from Venice’s crowds. Others may perceive it as Hoboken to Venice proper's Manhattan.
Since the hotel lies across Giudecca Canal from Venice’s Dorsodoro area, the mainland has to be reached by water taxi, the #82 vaporetto, or the hotel's free water shuttle, which runs every half hour or so.