Wondering where to go for the best vacation experience in November or December? This is a challenging time of year. The good news is, hurricane season officially ends on November 30. That's good news for skiers, too, since most of the northern hemisphere is heading toward winter. But those who prefer a warm-weather vacation will have to travel south for balmier temperatures — and prices begin their uphill climb.
The bad news is that in the USA, the last weeks of November and December are peak travel periods because of the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Can you schedule your trip for the first two weeks in November or December? That's your best chance of finding what you want available.
If you're determined to travel during the holiday periods, though, book your vacation flights, hotels, and cruises far in advance. If at all possible, avoid traveling during weekends and the days right before or after the holiday; then it's not only crowded but northern storms can wreak havoc and create weather delays that cascade across the system.
Tip: If it works with your schedule, fly on Thanksgiving or Christmas day; those are the least crowded days of the holiday season.
The further you go south or toward the desert, the warmer it will be. That makes November and December prime time for visits to Florida and Arizona. And except for the last week in December when prices peak the closer you get to New Year's Eve, Las Vegas is a fun destination.
Skiers will want to make reservations at resorts out west in Colorado and Utah. It's also primetime for skiers in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. And do consider the mountains of Canada, which span from Mont Tremblant in the east to Whistler in the west. Note that Canadians celebrate their Thanksgiving before the United States does, so it's a particularly good place to visit during that holiday.
For sun, warmth, and great beaches, look south.
- Year-round, the weather's usually lovely in Hawaii.
- Somewhere around the world, every month of the year, a cruise ship is sailing some place wonderful.
Beat the Crowds
- Try your luck in Las Vegas, which clears out during family holidays, then goes into overdrive New Year's Eve.
- Many resorts and cruises are childfree during the first two weeks of November, before schools break for holidays.
Not the Best Time to Visit
- Despite its popularity as a honeymoon haven, Bermuda is no place to visit in the winter. It's cold and windy and there's not much to do until the weather warms.
For Cold-Weather Lovers
- Before You Plan a Winter Getaway
- Hot Places to Go When It's Cold Outside
- Winter Ski Resort Vacations
Check Another Vacation Month