Checklist for a Romantic Summer Picnic
- Time: Coordinate your schedules to find a day and time that will work for both of you. To avoid a washout, consult the weather forecast before adding it to your calendar.
- Place : Plan to hold your summer picnic in a romantic spot. Anywhere, from your backyard to the beach to a local or national park, can suffice. The important thing is to find a spot that's scenic and private. The ideal spot for a romantic summer picnic has a combination of sun and shade. And if a creek or river runs through it, even better!
- Ground Cover: A pretty tablecloth, a big beach blanket, even an old sheet or quilt can be used to prepare your table on the ground. Before setting it down, make sure the area is clear of debris, ant hills, rocks, and anything else you don't want to end up sitting on including poison ivy.
- Picnic Basket (compare prices): You'll need something to hold the items you want to have at your romantic outdoor feast. Many of the nicest picnic hampers are made out of lightweight straw or rattan, have separate sections for hot and cold items, and can keep plates, cups, and cutlery organized.
Picnic Food: As far as I'm concerned, the best picnic food is simple and delicious. I remember one in the gardens at Versailles that just consisted of a fresh baguette, a wedge of brie, and a bottle of wine. If you don't have a big appetite in summer heat, you can make a simple feast of fruit -- grapes, bananas, oranges - or an assortment of vegetable crudités. And plenty of your favorite drinks.
If you want to knock yourself out, About's Food Guides - especially the ones who focus on ethnic fare - have plenty of recipes to make a summer picnic a gourmet feast:
- French Picnic Recipes
- Indian Picnic Recipes
- Italian Picnic Foods
- Home-cooked Picnic Recipes
- About's Picnic Recipe Round-Up
Warning: One thing to be careful about is bringing food to a picnic that will spoil quickly in summer heat. Salads made with mayonnaise, such as tuna, are inadvisable to serve.
- Food and Beverages
- Bottled Water
- Plates and Cutlery
- Cups or Glasses
- Bug Spray
- SPF Lotion
- Paper Towels
- Wet Naps
- Trash Bag
Extra Items that Make a Summer Picnic Extra Romantic