Question: What are Promise Rings?
Promise rings are bestowed to symbolize a promise that one person makes to another. In some cases, promise rings are precursors to engagement rings. While the latter symbolize a promise to marry, promise rings can stand for many other kinds of vows.
Answer: What Promise Rings can mean:
- I will be faithful to you
- I will return to you
- I will keep a specific promise to you
- I will keep your secret
- I love you
- My intention is to marry you, but I'm not yet ready to become engaged
- I will save my virginity for you
- We are best friends
- I will always be there for you
- You are my one and only valentine
- I promise to abstain from a vice (gambling, drinking, smoking)
- I promise to replace this ring with a (larger) diamond one as soon as I can afford it
When giving a promise ring, it's important to communicate the specific meaning you give to it. To avoid confusion and later unhappiness, make sure the recipient understands what it symbolizes for the two of you.