Intimate and romantic, Relais & Chateaux properties are well-suited to couples in search of an extraordinary setting for an undisturbed getaway, honeymoon, anniversary celebration, or destination wedding. Many cater to adults only.
Each of the member inns of Relais & Chateaux bears the stamp of an individual of taste who proudly welcomes guests to experience the highest levels of cuisine and hospitality. What contributes to Relais & Chateaux members' high quality is the commitment these hoteliers and restaurateurs make to embodying the brand's 5 Cs:
The number of Relais & Chateaux properties exceeds 500. As they meet the exacting standards, new ones are invited to join this prestigious association. Discover more by reading through this sampling of distinguished lodgings:
Noteworthy Relais & Chateaux in the USA:
- Auberge du Soleil, California
- Bedford Post Inn, New York
- Blantyre, Massachusetts
- Canoe Bay, Wisconsin
- Glenmere Mansion, New York
- Inn of the Five Graces, New Mexico
- The Inn at Little Washington, Virginia
- Mayflower Inn & Spa, Connecticut
- Ocean House, Rhode Island
- Pitcher Inn, Vermont
- Planter's Inn, Charleston, South Carolina
- Windham Hill Inn, Vermont
- Winvian, Connecticut
- Kingsbrae Arms, New Brunswick
- Manoir Hovey, Quebec
- Wedgewood Hotel, Vancouver
- Wickaninnish Inn, British Columbia
- Biras Creek Resort, British Virgin Islands
- Horned Dorset Primavera, Puerto Rico
- Eden Rock Hotel, St. Barths
- Abbaye de Sainte Croix, Provence, France
- Inverlochy Castle, Scotland
- Monte Carlo Beach Hotel, Monaco
- Waterside Inn, England
- Ballyfin House, Ireland
- Il San Pietro di Positano, Italy
- Park Hotel Weggis, Switzerland
- L'Albereta, Italy
- Algodon Mansion, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa, Tahiti
- Singita Ebony Lodge, South Africa
Relais & Chateaux Online: Official Web Site
Relais & Chateaux Toll-free Reservations Number: 800-735-2478
Relais & Chateaux Gift Certificates: Online Gift Shop
Denominations start at 100 Euros.
Relais & Chateaux Frequent Guest Club and Benefits: 5C Club
Weddings and Honeymoons at Relais & Chateaux: Registry Information and Destinations
Whereas one can expect a fairly uniform and consistent level of hospitality and lodgings at everything from Four Seasons Hotels to Hampton Inns, the same can't be said for Relais & Chateaux. Individual properties guided by visionary owners, they all have different personalities, passions, and even quirks.
The vast majority are exquisite, surpassing excellence. Hosts such as Ann Brown at Blantyre and Harry Chancey at Kingsbrae Arms elevate the art of hospitality to unimagined heights in beautifully decorated surroundings and delight guests' palates with inventive, elegantly presented cuisine.
Have I ever had a bad experience at a Relais & Chateaux property? Alas, yes. Once. Everything from our greeting upon arrival to our room (mismatched furniture, stained rug, smell of sewage in the outdated bathroom) to the overzealous wait staff was dreadful.
Relais & Chateaux employs 10 independent inspectors, and each property is visited every three years to ensure standards remain high. One hopes by the time an inspector makes it back to this particular Canadian property, it will once again deserve to be listed among this group of prestigious inns.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodations and meals for the purpose of reviewing those services. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.