Second marriage was called "the triumph of hope over experience" by 18th-century essayist Samuel Johnson. What would he have said about third, fourth, fifth, even ninth marriages? Perhaps he'd agree that multi-married celebrities are the most romantic of us all. Based on frequency alone, the following rank as Top 10 Celebrity Honeymooners. Some of these celebrity marriages didn't extend much beyond the honeymoon, but they were fun (or not) while they lasted....
1. Zsa Zsa Gabor - 9 HusbandsZsa Zsa Gabor's Hungarian accent, quick wit, and curves attracted nine husbands. (And countless lovers. She herself quipped, "How many husbands have I had? You mean apart from my own?") Husband #1, a diplomat, took her on a honeymoon aboard the Venice-Simplon Express. Husband #2, hotelier Conrad Hilton, led her to Hotel La Fonda in Santa Fe. An actor, a CEO, an oilman, an inventor, a divorce lawyer, a playboy, and a prince folllowed. Since 1986, she has remained married to her prince.
2. Liz Taylor - 8 HusbandsLiz Taylor has had seven colorful honeymoons. Her first, at age 17, was with hotel heir Nicky Hilton aboard the Queen Mary. Next came actor Michael Wilding. Husband #3, producer Mike Todd, married her in Acapulco. After his untimely death, the widow fell for crooner Eddie Fisher. Then she married and divorced actor Richard Burton. Twice. Husband #6 was John Warner, a U.S. senator from Virginia. No. 7 was Larry Fortensky, whom she divorced in 1997. She is currently single.
3. Lana Turner - 8 HusbandsAnother Hollywood siren, Lana Turner first married bandleader Artie Shaw. Husband #2 (and #3) was restaurateur Steven Crane; their first marriage was annulled. Crane fathered their daughter, Cheryl. Subsequently this blonde bombshell married an executive; actor Lex Barker; and two different businessmen. Husband #8 was Ronald Dante, a nightclub performer. She was best known, however, for the scandalous 1958 death of her lover Johnny Stompanato, allegedly stabbed by the teenaged Cheryl.
4. Mickey Rooney - 8 WivesThe diminutive star has always has a way with the ladies. His first marriage was to stunning Ava Gardner; that lasted for less than a year. His second marriage, which lasted for five years to Betty Jane Rase, produced two sons. A two-year marriage to Martha Vickers produced a third child. Marriage four, to Elaine Devry, took place in Las Vegas. Marriage #5, to Barbara Ann Thomason, stretched from 1958 to 1966 and added four more children to the Rooney brood. It was followed by quickie nuptials to Marge Lane. Rooney took a two-year breather from honeymooning, then tied the knot with Carolyn Hockett. They stayed together from 1969-1974. His latest wife, Jan Chamberlin, looks like a keeper: She and "Andy Hardy" been united since 1978.
5. Robert Evans - 7 WivesFormer head of Paramount Pictures Bob Evans has occupied numerous honeymoon suites. Actresses Sharon Hugueny, Camilla Sparv, and Ali MacGraw all wore his rings. Next came former Miss America Phyllis George. After their divorce, Evans married actress Catherine Oxenberg in 1997 for one week. In 2002 he wed former model Leslie Ann Woodward. The couple separated in June 2003. Seventh wife Victoria White OGara filed for divorce in June 2006, citing irreconciliable differences.
6. Jerry Lee Lewis - 6 WivesGoodness, gracious: Perhaps rock'n'roller Jerry Lee "Great Balls of Fire" Lewis isn't cut out for marriage. Shocking both fans and foes, he took Myra, his 13-year-old second cousin, as his third wife when he was 23 years old. Wife #4 drowned in a swimming pool in 1982. Wife #5 overdosed on methadone in their home in 1983. He married Kerrie McCarver, wife #6, in 1984. They have recently started divorce proceedings.
7. Billy Bob Thornton - 5 Wives
While his recent marriage to Wife #5 actress Angelina Jolie attracted the most ink, Thornton has been traveling to the altar and the honeymoon suite since 1978. Wife #1 was Melissa Lee Gatlin. Wife #2 (1986-88) was actress Toni Lawrence. Wife #3 (1990-92) was another actress, Cynda William. His fourth marriage, to Pietra Dawn Cherniak, lasted from 1993-97. In 2000, he elope
d with Jolie to Las Vegas and they tattooed themselves silly. Two years later, they broke up.
8. Joan Collins - 5 Husbands"I don't need a husband, I need a wife," this British-born actress once claimed. Nonetheless, she's had five of them. Husband #1 was actor Maxwell Reed, whom she married more than half a century ago (1952-57). Husband #2 was talented singer-actor Anthony Newley (1963-71). Husband #3 was producer Ronald Kass (1972-83). Seriously sexy Swedish singer Peter Holm carried her over the threshold in 1985. And in 2002 the Dynasty diva married Husband #5, Percy Gibson, who is the same age as her son.
9. Geena Davis - 5 HusbandsShe may be a certified genius (Davis is a Mensa member), but her matches have been less than brilliant. She first married in 1981 to Richard Emmolo, a restaurant manager. That union lasted a year and a half. Next she married Husband #2, actor Chris MacDonald. That lasted three years. Then came slick Jeff Goldblum, and the couple made headlines for three years (1987-90). Director Renny Harlin warmed her bed for five years (1993-98). She has been with Husband #5, surgeon Reza Jarrahy, since 2001.
10. William Shatner - 4 WivesThe crooning Canadian captain of the Starship Enterprise has been over the moon romantically four times in his life. Gloria Rand (1956-1969) was Wife #1. Shatner's marriage to Marcy Lafferty lasted even longer (1973-1996). Wife #3, Nerine Kidd, whom he married in 1997, had addiction problems and drowned in their home swimming pool in 1999. Since 2001, Shatner has been married to Elizabeth Martin. The couple shares an interest in Thoroughbred horses.
11. Liza Minnelli - 4 HusbandsHusband-beating harpy or misunderstood diva? Only Liza and her beaux know. Husband #1, Australian singer/dancer Peter Allen (1967-74), was discovered by mama Judy Garland. Husband #2 (1974-78) was Hollywood exec Jack Haley Jr. Husband #3 (1979-92) was sculptor Mark Gero. With Husband #4, David Gest, Minnelli had an elaborate 2002 NYC wedding with 1,500 celebrity guests. The couple honeymooned in London, then separated in 2003. Gest then filed a $10-million lawsuit, claiming battery.