Simple ways to save money without sacrificing fun.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Be flexible with your schedule: Travel during the off-season and on off-peak days (not weekends).
- Go for a shorter amount of time.
- If driving, pack a cooler instead of stopping for expensive snacks.
- If flying, check multiple online travel agents for rates. See if you can get a cheaper rate by leaving at a different time or day.
- Instead of buying expensive travel guides, do your research on the Web.
- Choose package deals and all-inclusive rates.
- When negotiating a room, car-rental, or airfare, always ask if it's the lowest rate available.
- Bid low on an online cruise or vacation auction.
- Instead of eating every meal out, prepare food in your room if there are facilities.
- Use coupons (ask your hotel) that offer discounts on admissions.
- Set a spending limit on souvenirs.
- Use a credit card that earns points or miles, and apply them toward your next trip.
- Don't scrimp on accommodations. If you're heading for a romantic getaway, you'll want to spend time in the room.
- Compare prices online at a number of different sites.
- Avoid "last-minute" deals -- they often sell distressed or unwanted inventory -- which could mean the worst room in a hotel.