A sentimental rather than an official legal event, a vow renewal is a way for a couple to commemorate an important milestone, such as a major wedding anniversary or important personal milestone.
Vow Renewal on Vacation
If you want a romantic place for your vow renewal, consider a tropical destination. More and more resorts that host weddings are also offering their services to couples who want to plan a vow renewal.
Much like couples planning a destination wedding, those having a vow renewal can avail themselves of the services of a resort's wedding planner. She can organize everything from the officiant to the flowers, the keepsakes to the videography. Like a destination wedding, you can choose to invite your closest friends and family to witness your vow renewal -- or keep the event intensely private.
Do It Your Way
Couples who marry young often have a wedding heavily influenced by their parents. In a vow renewal, you can have the ceremony you always wanted. Since you'll be paying for it, this time you're free to do it your way.
Whether that means wearing matching Hawaiian shirts on a beach at sunset or reaffirming your love in a local church or synagogue, your vow renewal is an opportunity to imprint the event with your personal taste, creativity, and experience.
Is it Legal?
Since you are already married and in possession of a wedding license, your vow renewal does not require any additional paperwork and the ceremony need not be officiated by a recognized authority. While many priests, ministers, and rabbis are glad to preside over this type of happy event, you can also have a judge, notary public, relative, or close friend do the honors.
Vow Renewal Considerations
- When do we want to renew our vows?
- What kind of budget can we afford for a vow renewal?
- Where do we want to have our vow renewal: home or away?
- Who should officiate at our vow renewal?
- Do we want to write and recite our own vows or use existing vows?
- Who do we want to invite to our vow renewal? Will we need invitations?
- Should we plan or having our children participate?
- Do we want to record our vow renewal in photographs or on video?
- Do we want to re-use our wedding rings or have new ones made?
- Do we want to exchange gifts to commemorate this day?
- What should we wear at our vow renewal?
- Do we want particular music played at our vow renewal?
- Should we have our vow renewal catered, or will cake and champagne suffice?
- Do we want to include any special friends or memories from our wedding in our vow renewal?