Weddings, honeymoons, and romantic tourism are big business — and the statistics prove it. How big? Consider the following research statistics, facts and figures gathered from a variety of industry sources:
- 99 percent of grooms do the proposing.
- 15 percent of proposals occur in December.
- The average American engagement lasts 14 months.
- The average diamond engagement ring is $6,348.
- $4 billion in furniture
- $3 billion in housewares
- $400 million in tableware
- Every year an average of 2.4 million weddings are performed in the U.S.
- Today's median age for first-time brides is 27 years. For grooms, it's 29 years.
- The median age for remarriage is 34 for brides and 37 for grooms.
- $28,082 is the average amount spent on a traditional American wedding.
- Each weekend an average of 44,230 weddings take place.
- 23 million bridesmaids and groomsmen attend brides and grooms each year.
- The average number of wedding guests is 165.
- 88 percent of Americans marry at least once in their lifetime.
- One-third of those getting married have been married previously.
- A total of $72 billion is spent on weddings annually in the U.S.
- Weddings represent a $50 billion annual industry.
- Who pays for the wedding? In 19% of cases, it's the brides' parents. Nearly one-third --; 32% of brides and grooms -- pay for it themselves. And 15% of couples share the cost with both sets of parents contributing.
- $19 billion is spent buying presents at wedding gift registries.
- More than 91 percent of couples register for wedding gifts.
- The average amount spent on a wedding gift is in the $70-$100 range.
- The average amount spent on wedding bands for the couple is $1,575.
- The average amount spent on a bridal gown is $1,075.
- David's Bridal accounts for 20% of all bridal-gown sales.
- Queen Victoria, who married Prince Albert in 1840, popularized the white wedding gown. She wore a white silk and lace gown with an 18-foot train at their wedding.
- Tuxedoes are typically purchased 5-6 months after the wedding gown.
- Bridesmaids' gowns are generally purchased 3-4 months in advance of the event.
- 67% of women continue to wear the same fragrance they wore on their wedding day.
DESTINATION WEDDING STATISTICS
- 16 percent of marriages are destination weddings.
- The destination wedding market accounts for $16 billion in annual spending.
- Average budget for a destination wedding is $28,000.
- 60% of destination couples pay for the wedding themselves.
- The average age of a destination bride today is 33, compared to the U.S. average of 28.
- 70% have graduated college and the average household income is $110,000.
- Average number of guests at a destination wedding: 48.
- Guests at a destination wedding spend an average of $400 to attend.
- 9 out of 10 couples say weather is a key factor in selecting a destination.
- The leading destinations for out-of-town weddings are: (Figures in parentheses indicate number of weddings performed annually.)
The most popular months for weddings to take place are, in this order:
- November/April (tie)
- Estimated Number of Honeymooners: 1.4 million U.S. couples per year.
- Among couples who choose a traditional wedding, 99 percent take a honeymoon.
- On average, the honeymoon is booked 4 months before the wedding.
- Honeymoons comprise a $12 billion-dollar-a-year industry.
- Couples spend an average of $4,466 on their honeymoon. That's three times as much as the average U.S. adult spends on a vacation. Luxury honeymooners, which comprise 15% of the market, spend an average of $9,954 and vacation for 11 days.
- The honeymoon, on average, accounts for 14 percent of the wedding budget.
- The length of an average honeymoon is eight days.
- 62% of couples pay for most of their honeymoon on their own.
- 10 percent of newlyweds take cruises for their honeymoon.
- 37 percent of honeymoon trips are to domestic locations; 63 percent are foreign.
- Most popular US honeymoon destinations: Hawaii, Florida, California, Nevada.
- Most popular overseas destinations: Mexico, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Italy, St. Lucia, France, USVI.
- Most popular luxury honeymoon destinations: Europe, Caribbean, Hawaii, South Pacific.
- 40% of honeymooners will stay at a resort vs. 27 percent at a large hotel vs.10 percent at a small hotel.
- Only 1 in 4 couples go on their dream honeymoon.
- 48% of honeymooners visit Facebook while away.
- 57 percent of same-sex couples take a honeymoon after their ceremony (the majority who do — 65 percent — are lesbians)
- Hawaii is the favored destination for both gay and straight honeymoon couples.
HONEYMOON CONSUMER STATISTICS
In a Bridal Guide survey, wedding couples indicated the items they were mostly likely to acquire for honeymoon travel:
- Wardrobe = 70.1%
- Swimsuit = 69.9%
- Sunglasses = 69.9%
- Sunscreen = 57.8%
- Luggage = 49.7%
- Video Camera = 36.6%
- Camera = 31.0%
- Sports Equipment = 7.3%
RELATED WEDDING STATISTICS
- 3% of brides intend to sign a pre-nuptial agreement.
- 81% of brides plan to change their name after marriage.
Association of Bridal Consultants
Condé Nast Bridal Group "2009 American Wedding Study"
Destination Weddings & Honeymoons magazine
Destinations Wedding Report from the Wedding Report 2013
Fairchild Bridal Infobank
The Knot's 2010 Honeymoon Survey
National Bridal Service
National Center for Health Statistics
"You're Getting Married," The New Yorker, 4/21/03
Travel Industry Association of America
U.S. Census Bureau
Information last updated: 6/14
For more information: