- 99 percent of grooms do the proposing.
- 15 percent of proposals occur in December.
- The average American engagement lasts 14 months.
- The average diamond engagement ring is $6,348.
- $4 billion in furniture
- $3 billion in housewares
- $400 million in tableware
- Every year an average of 2.4 million weddings are performed in the U.S.
- Today's median age for first-time brides is 27 years. For grooms, it's 29 years.
- The median age for remarriage is 34 for brides and 37 for grooms.
- $28,082 is the average amount spent on a traditional American wedding.
- Each weekend an average of 44,230 weddings take place.
- 23 million bridesmaids and groomsmen attend brides and grooms each year.
- The average number of wedding guests is 165.
- 88 percent of Americans marry at least once in their lifetime.
- One-third of those getting married have been married previously.
- A total of $72 billion is spent on weddings annually in the U.S.
- Weddings represent a $50 billion annual industry.
- Who pays for the wedding? In 19% of cases, it's the brides' parents. Nearly one-third --; 32% of brides and grooms -- pay for it themselves. And 15% of couples share the cost with both sets of parents contributing.
- $19 billion is spent buying presents at wedding gift registries.
- More than 91 percent of couples register for wedding gifts.
- The average amount spent on a wedding gift is in the $70-$100 range.
- The average amount spent on wedding bands for the couple is $1,575.
- The average amount spent on a bridal gown is $1,075.
- David's Bridal accounts for 20% of all bridal-gown sales.
- Queen Victoria, who married Prince Albert in 1840, popularized the white wedding gown. She wore a white silk and lace gown with an 18-foot train at their wedding.
- Tuxedoes are typically purchased 5-6 months after the wedding gown.
- Bridesmaids' gowns are generally purchased 3-4 months in advance of the event.
- 67% of women continue to wear the same fragrance they wore on their wedding day.
DESTINATION WEDDING STATISTICS
- 16 percent of marriages are destination weddings.
- The destination wedding market accounts for $16 billion in annual spending.
- Average budget for a destination wedding is $20,600.
- 60% of destination couples pay for the wedding themselves.
- The average age of a destination bride today is 33, compared to the U.S. average of 28.
- 70% have graduated college and the average household income is $110,000.
- Average number of guests at a destination wedding: 48.
- Guests at a destination wedding spend an average of $400 to attend.
- 9 out of 10 couples say weather is a key factor in selecting a destination.
- The leading destinations for out-of-town weddings are: (Figures in parentheses indicate number of weddings performed annually.)
The most popular months for weddings to take place are, in this order:
- November/April (tie)
- Estimated Number of Honeymooners: 1.4 million U.S. couples per year.
- Among couples who choose a traditional wedding, 99 percent take a honeymoon.
- On average, the honeymoon is booked 4 months before the wedding.
- Honeymoons comprise a $12 billion-dollar-a-year industry.
- Couples spend an average of $4,466 on their honeymoon. That's three times as much as the average U.S. adult spends on a vacation. Luxury honeymooners, which comprise 15% of the market, spend an average of $9,954 and vacation for 11 days.
- The honeymoon, on average, accounts for 14 percent of the wedding budget.
- The length of an average honeymoon is eight days.
- 62% of couples pay for most of their honeymoon on their own.
- 10 percent of newlyweds take cruises for their honeymoon.
- 37 percent of honeymoon trips are to domestic locations; 63 percent are foreign.
- Most popular US honeymoon destinations: Hawaii, Florida, California, Nevada.
- Most popular overseas destinations: Mexico, Jamaica, the Bahamas, Italy, St. Lucia, France, USVI.
- Most popular luxury honeymoon destinations: Europe, Caribbean, Hawaii, South Pacific.
- 40% of honeymooners will stay at a resort vs. 27 percent at a large hotel vs.10 percent at a small hotel.
- Only 1 in 4 couples go on their dream honeymoon.
- 48% of honeymooners visit Facebook while away.
HONEYMOON CONSUMER STATISTICS
In a Bridal Guide survey, wedding couples indicated the items they were mostly likely to acquire for honeymoon travel:
- Wardrobe = 70.1%
- Swimsuit = 69.9%
- Sunglasses = 69.9%
- Sunscreen = 57.8%
- Luggage = 49.7%
- Video Camera = 36.6%
- Camera = 31.0%
- Sports Equipment = 7.3%
RELATED WEDDING STATISTICS
- 3% of brides intend to sign a pre-nuptial agreement.
- 81% of brides plan to change their name after marriage.
Association of Bridal Consultants
Condé Nast Bridal Group "2009 American Wedding Study"
Destination Weddings & Honeymoons magazine
Fairchild Bridal Infobank
The Knot's 2010 Honeymoon Survey
National Bridal Service
National Center for Health Statistics
"You're Getting Married," The New Yorker, 4/21/03
Travel Industry Association of America
U.S. Census Bureau
Information last updated: 12/11
For more information: