Considered a gateway to the Caribbean and the diving capital of the world, Belize is located south of Mexico and to the north and east of Guatemala.
Part of its attraction are the many exotic adventures one can experience here: Hike jungle trails... tube along an underground river... explore a brilliant barrier reef... find archeological ruins.
The main draw, though, is the water. Whether you're just-starting-out snorkelers or expert SCUBA divers, there's an amazing world to view underseas.
Belize is home to the western hemisphere's largest barrier reef, three atolls, and seven Marine World Heritage sites. Abundant marine life and crystal-clear waters allowing exceptional visibility make paddling around Belize's barrier reef and offshore cayes a treat for the eyes.
Inland, you can canoe, kayak, and raft on Belize's waterways. The main one, the Belize River, originates in Guatemala and winds 175 miles east through Belize City. If whitewater rafting is a passion, schedule a trip between November and April, when the rivers run harder.
On land, there's more than meets the eye. Belize contains numerous Maya caves, and several house artifacts thousands of years old. Others reveal astounding crystal formations. Some even have rivers running through them.
- 20-mile long, two-mile wide tropical island
- Largest of Belize's 200 offshore cayes
- Diving, snorkeling, fishing, sailing, cruises birding, manatee watching
- Hal Chan Marine Reserve - underwater park
- Shark Ray Alley - dive or snorkel with stingrays or nurse sharks
- Site of Fox TV's original "Temptation Island"
- Belize Zoo
- Bliss Institute - Maya artifacts
- Community Baboon Sanctuary, home to howler monkeys
- Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary, home to jabiru stork, largest bird in the Western Hemisphere
- Capital city is minutes from orchid-filled Guanacaste National Park
- Blue Hole National Park
- Caves Branch, with miles of underground caves for tubing
- Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve
- Canoeing, swimming, hiking, caving, birding, ecotours
- Laid-back beach area stretching for three miles
- Laughing Bird Cay National Park - great for swimming, diving, snorkeling
- Seine Bight Village - Garifuna village with distinctive culture
- Maya Beach - resort area with white-sand beaches
English-speaking Belize is a two-hour plane ride from Miami or Houston.